Travis County Departments
- Administrative Operations
-- Provides oversight of county support departments.
- Adult Probation Department (CSCD) -- Monitors adults on court-ordered probation.
- Agricultural Extension Agent -- Provides
consumer information about gardening, agriculture, 4-H, and more.
- Commissioners -- With the
county judge, the primary administrative officials in county government.
- Constables -- Truancy, evictions,
process, and other law-enforcement related activities.
- Counseling & Education
Services -- Services for offenders with drug or alcohol related crimes,
and rehabilitative classes for other offenders.
- County Attorney -- The county's
legal advisor and representative in justice of the peace and county courts
- County Auditor -- Oversight
of county finances.
- County Clerk -- Clerk of record
for the commissioners court and county courts at law. Marriage licenses
and property records.
- County Courts at Law -- Civil
cases between $500 and $250,000 and class A and B misdemeanor cases, state
jail felony and 3rd degree felony cases involving family violence.
- County Judge -- The presiding
officer of commissioners court.
- County Treasurer -- Receives
and disburses county funds. Paying agent for county registered bonds, bail
bonds, and juror payments.
- Criminal Justice -- Coordinates
Criminal Justice Planning, Counseling and Education Services, and Juvenile
- District Attorney -- Represents
the state in district court trying juvenile and felony cases. Investigates
- District Clerk -- Clerk of
record for the district courts. Divorce, child custody, and support records.
- District Courts -- Hears felony,
divorce, child custody and support cases. Civil cases involving contracts,
personal injury and taxes.
- Domestic Relations Office -- Handles specific
areas of family law on behalf of the Travis County District Courts: enforces
visitation orders and child support orders; acts as Child Support Registry;
and provides Guardians Ad Litem in contested custody, adoption and termination
of rights litigation.
- Drug Court -- Also
called the SHORT Program; a pre-trial intervention
- Emergency Services -- Coordinates
Emergency Management, Fire Marshal, Wireless Technology, and Medical Examiner.
- Emergency Management--Assists
county departments, municipalities and other agencies in developing mitigation,
planning, response and recovery documents for use during an emergency. Coordinates
the County’s response and recovery efforts during disasters.
- Facilities Management -- The planning,
design, construction, renovation, leasing, maintenance and Operations of
- Fire Marshal -- Fire investigations,
fire inspections and code enforcement within the county.
- Health & Human Services
-- Provides social and medical services including services
for the deaf.
- Historical Commission
-- Preservation of Travis County's heritage.
- Travis County Housing Finance Corporation
-- The Travis County Housing Finance Corporation was created in 1980 to
assist in meeting the housing needs of low and moderate-income families
in Travis County.
- Human Resources -- Recruits
employees; administers employee benefits. Risk management.
- Information & Telecommunication Systems
-- Provides computer and telephone support services to county offices.
- Investment Management -- Monitors
and invests the county's funds.
- Justices of the Peace --
Small claims court, evictions, towing, and class C misdemeanors.
- Juvenile Court -- Addresses
the needs of juvenile offenders, families, and victims of juvenile crime.
- Juvenile Public Defender
-- Defends indigent juveniles accused and ordered to appear in juvenile
- Local Emergency Planning Committee --
Anticipates and plans for disasters.
- Medical Examiner -- Conducts
legal investigations from a medical point of view. Forensic autopsies.
- Planning & Budget -- Facilitates
the effective use of county resources for the community's benefit.
- Pretrial Services -- Determines
bond release eligibility and special release conditions.
- Probate Court -- Guardianships, wills,
mental health commitments, and eminent domain.
- Purchasing -- Makes county purchases,
including solicitation of bids and proposals.
- Records Management &
Communication Resources -- Provides information for residents through
TCTV Channel 17, Travis County's web site and public
- Sheriff -- Enforces laws, protects
the life and property of county residents, and provides confinement for
- STARFlight/EMS -- STARFlight/EMS
consists of STARFlight and includes the coordination of Emergency Medical
- Tax Assessor Collector -- Registers
voters, collects taxes, and vehicle license and registration.
- Transportation & Natural Resources
-- Maintains county parks. Performs
road and bridge maintenance, as well
as design and construction for new
road and bridge projects. Reviews subdivision
applications and construction permits.
Administers the Balcones Canyonlands Conservation
Plan public participation process for landowners wishing to develop
in areas with endangered species concerns, and manages lands as a part of
the Balcones Canyonlands Preserve.
- Travis County Exposition Center
-- Home of the Star of Texas Livestock
Show & Rodeo and other events.
- Travis County Hospital District
-- Information regarding hospital district meetings and board of directors.
- Travis County Housing Finance Corporation
-- Carries out the purposes of the Texas Housing Finance Corporation Act.
- Veteran Services -- Provides
general support and assistance in obtaining benefits.